Fa. Pekelhaaring is one of my favourite restaurants in Amsterdam. I shall list the reasons why we keep going back.
1. It's near to our house... but far enough that it's stil "going out" for dinner rather than stumbling two doors down.
2. For lunch they serve overloaded open broodjes (Dutch for sandwiches) and all but one are less than 7 Euros. Their spicy chicken sandwich is NewMan's favourite in all of Amsterdam.
3. They change their menu often, but never completely.
4. Their bar is made of old sideboard doors all pieced together.
5. They have a long list of excellent wines. And the staff know their stuff when it comes to making recommendations
6. Speaking of which, the service at Pekelhaaring is consistently excellent. Anyone who knows what service in Amsterdam is normally like will know this is a big positive.
7. They have an open plan kitchen but the noise NEVER carries. Without wanting to sound like an old woman, this is so important. I don't want to hear the clatter of saucepans while I eat. (Oh and we figured out how they did this. The clue is under your table, have a feel!)
8. The salads are really interesting and different. I'm no expert but there's only so much caeser salad this girl can eat.
9. The menu is definitely Italian-influenced - and all the pasta dishes I've tried have been brilliant - but they're not afraid to throw in some occasional North American, French, Spanish or Asian influences.
10. They have board games and magazines. I love spending Sunday afternoons at Pekelharing.
11. They serve arancini.
12. They do lunches as well as they do dinners... And speaking of which, it's always a good idea to make a reservation for dinner, because unfortunately, we're not the only ones who think so.
Firma Pekelhaaring, 127 - 129 Van Woustraat, Amsterdam, 1074AH.
Frances M. Thompson
Find Frankie on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest, and Google+.